5 Super-Easy Ways To Make Veggie Chips That Don't Involve Kale
This was excerpted with permission from from Rodale Books, an imprint of Rodale, Inc.
Choice is the name of the game with our veggie chips—just pick whichever vegetable is in season, on sale, or available at your local market. Try out our different seasoning blends, some of which you can make at home, and some that can be found in the specialty foods section of the grocery store.
First, to prep your veggies:
CELERIAC: 1 medium celeriac, peeled and thinly sliced 1/16" thick
YUCCA: 1/2 medium yucca, peeled and thinly sliced 1/16" thick
JICAMA: 1 medium jicama, peeled and thinly sliced 1/16" thick
KOHLRABI: 2 medium kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced 1/16" thick, lay the slices on paper towels, sprinkle with salt, and let sit for 15 minutes
Now, here are five different ways to cook them: one "base" recipe and then four easy tweaks:
Salted Veggie Chips
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Makes 1 serving
- Choice of veggie
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. Blot dry, then proceed and lay the slices in a single layer on the baking sheets, coat with cooking spray, and sprinkle with the salt to taste and desired seasonings.
3. Bake, rotating the sheets and swapping positions halfway through, until the edges begin to brown and dry out, 8 to 10 minutes for yucca, 15 to 20 minutes for the others. To test crispiness, let a chip cool on the counter for 30 seconds and taste. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Store the cooled chips in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Nutrition (per serving):
Celeriac: 195 calories, 7 g protein, 42 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 7 g sugars, 2 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 847 mg sodium
Yucca: 331 calories, 3 g protein, 78 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 3 g sugars, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 422 mg sodium
Jicama: 255 calories, 5 g protein, 58 g carbohydrates, 32 g fiber, 12 g sugars, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 420 mg sodium
Kohlrabi: 40 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 3 g sugars, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 420 mg sodium
Related: Is An Air Fryer Really Better For You Than A Regular Fryer?
Garlic Veggie Chips
Salted Veggie Chips Recipe PLUS:
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes (or more to taste)
Before baking, mix garlic powder, cumin, and red-pepper flakes and sprinkle the mixture over the veggies.
Nutrition (per serving in addition to veggie): 14 calories, 1 g protein, 2 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 0 g sugars, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 4 mg sodium
Use this DIY fruit and veggie cleaner to wash your produce before using:
Vinegar Veggie Chips
- Salted Veggie Chips Recipe PLUS:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Before baking, mix white wine vinegar and ground black pepper and sprinkle the mixture over the veggies.
Nutrition (per serving in addition to veggie): 2 calories, 0 g protein, 0 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugars, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg sodium
Ras el Hanout Veggie Chips
- Salted Veggie Chips Recipe PLUS:
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout
To incorporate this Moroccan spice mixture with a whole lot of flavor, sprinkle ras el hanout over veggies before baking.
Video: How to Make Thin Crispy Potato Chips | Easy Homemade Potato Chip Recipe
Kenny Belaey Defies Death To Ride A Slackline Over A 112m Drop
10 Ways to Burn Fat in 4 Minutes
Do a Little Math for Your Biggest Refund
How to Grow Foxglove
5 Perfectly Seasoned Low-Salt Dinners
10 Rules for Renting a Vacation Home
Wall Street says its different this time
Pretty Eye Makeup Looks For Girls With Grey Eyes
How to Deal With a Sibling Who Always Snitches on You
Career Advice – How To Make Your Side Job Profitable
Dos and Donts of Healthy Hair Care
Nike Releases Margot vs
Even with all of the tourist hullabaloo, I found Livraria Lello to be worth a visit. Its a gorgeous architectural work and certainly conjures images of J.K. Rowlings magical world. In the future, I hope the owners learn to better manage the bookstore as a tourist attraction — as that is its primary purpose these days, like it or not