How to Get Rid of Underarm Fat
People can carry weight anywhere on the body, and the underarm region is no exception. Unfortunately, losing fat in one specific area of your body is not possible. However, routine coupling of exercise and proper nutrition can help reduce overall body fat, including around the underarm. Building muscle in the chest, back shoulders and arms can drastically change to look of your underarms, as can reducing overall fat storage.
Create a fitness training plan.Cardiovascular exercise and weight training burn calories effectively, and effective weight loss includes both.For best results, aim for 300 minutes (5 hours) of moderate cardiovascular exercise each week, or 150 minutes (2.5 hours) of vigorous exercise, or an equivalent combination of the two.
- A fitness trainer can help you design a program that meets your fitness goals, including working on "problem areas" such as the underarm.
- Plan when you can go to a fitness center or devote time to fitness. Bring your workout clothes with you so you can head directly to the gym after school or work.
Choose your cardiovascular exercise.Exercise is an important part of losing weight, burning calories, and maintaining health. Moderate exercise means that you are lightly sweating, breathing a bit harder (but are not out of breath), and can still talk while exercising.Moderate aerobic activity may include dancing, cycling, and brisk walking. Vigorous cardiovascular training burns calories faster, and includes jogging, circuit training, aerobic classes, resistance training, and stair climbing.
Try a new activity.One way to engage in fitness in a new way is to try a new activity. This can be as easy as trying a new class at your local gym or trying something active outdoors. You want to make fitness fun, and there are many ways to add enjoyment to physical activity.
- Hiking is a great way to burn calories and be active while enjoying some natural beauty. If you don't have hiking trails near you, consider going to a local park or somewhere you can immerse yourself in nature while you move your body.
- Pick up biking. Find some local bike paths and enjoy time outside. Save gas and bike to your errands, like going to the grocery store.
- Dancing is a great way to burn calories and learn a new skill. Many different forms of dance exist, such as ballroom, salsa, bachata, hip hop, ballet and freestyle. Check out dance classes in your area and have some fun while you burn calories.
Try high-intensity interval training (HIIT).Don't be fooled by this quick and powerful workout! You will be sweating and working hard. One approach is to start with moderate intensity exercise for three to four minutes, then kick up the intensity for one minute. Repeat one to six times with any type of cardio exercise you perform.
- Activities can include jogging/running, jump rope, jumping jacks, squats, or kickboxing. Get creative! Any aerobic activity that can be done at different intervals can be a HIIT.
Building Muscle Tone
Target muscle groups.One way to improve the look of your underarms is by targeting the muscles around the underarm and strengthening them.This includes the triceps (located on the underside of your upper arm above your elbow), pectorals (located over your chest), and latissimus dorsi (known as "angel wings" or lats near the backside of your underarms). Toning the muscles near your underarms will tighten muscles and create more appeal in this area.
Do push-ups.Push-ups target many muscle groups throughout the body, particularly the muscles surrounding the underarm. Make sure you keep your body straight, as if your body is a straight plank from head to toe. If this position is difficult, drop your knees. Start with 3 sets of 10 and increase amount with skill.
- Change your hand position to create challenge. Arms spread far apart will work back muscles, and hands placed closer together--such as creating a diamond shape with pointer fingers touching at the top and thumbs touching at the base-- will work triceps.
Do triceps dips.Dips help build tricep muscle by relying on your triceps to support your weight as you dip your body. Use an exercise machine designed to work tricep dips, or use a bench, making sure to use good form. Do 3 sets of 10.
Do supermans.This exercise works the muscles down the length of the spine as well as the backs of the shoulders, the buttocks, and even the backs of the arms and legs. Lie on your stomach with your legs outstretched and ankles touching. Your arms should be outstretched upwards, palms down facing forward by your face. Raise your legs and arms so that only your midsection is against the floor, and hold this position for 30 seconds. Repeat.
Maintaining Proper Nutrition
Eat to lose weight.To lose weight, you must use more calories than you intake, which can be accomplished through diet and exercise. Safe weight loss includes losing 0.5 to 2.0 pounds each week, which requires a 500–1,000 decrease in overall calories each day.
- No diet can target a specific part of your body for weight loss. Your goal is to reduce overall body fat, which will include fat near the underarms.
- Create a mindset that encourages you to lose weight. Losing weight means committing to a plan and following through with it. You can do it!
Use a food diary.Many people are unaware of how many calories they consume each day, which leads to feeling frustrated at an inability to lose weight. Using a food diary increases your success in losing weight.Using a food diary means tracking the calories you eat each day, and also tracking the calories you expend on exercise.
- If you have a smartphone, download a food diary application. Many free apps exist that track total nutrition, including protein, fiber, and vitamins found within your food. It's a great way to make sure you are eating a balanced diet and maintaining proper nutrition.
Eat when you're hungry.Eating in response to emotional problems can end up having big consequences on your health, resulting in gaining unnecessary weight.It's easy to be an emotional eater, but start to retrain your body not to turn to food when you experience certain feelings. Listen to your emotional cues, but handle those separately outside of food.
- Begin listening to your body's cues when it feels hungry. When you get an indication from your body, hear it out. What amount of food will satisfy the hunger? What kind of food does your body want? Could you be thirsty? If you have a craving, figure out if there is a healthy alternative that can satisfy the craving.
Limit your intake of saturated fats and sugars.Often, foods with a high sugar content also have a high fat content, which can make losing weight quite difficult.Moderate your intake of foods high in fat or sugar, and sparingly eat foods high in both fat and sugar.
- Common high sugar sources include sodas, candies, alcoholic drinks, cakes, and pastries.
- Common foods that are high in saturated fats include margarine, butter, cooking oils, non-skim dairy products, fried foods, many desserts, untrimmed meat, cold cuts, and processed or packaged foods.
Eat a varied diet.Include more fruits and vegetables, and add a variety of grains and proteins to maintain a healthy weight.
- Get creative in adding fruits and veggies. Make a fruit smoothie in the morning, or pack sandwiches high with veggies. Treat yourself to sweet fruits for dessert.
- Eat a variety of grains such as rice, quinoa, and oats.
- Mix up your protein by eating trail mix, substituting tofu, or adding beans.
Use healthy alternatives to low nutrition food.When preparing food, get the most bang for your buck. If you crave food low in nutrients, consider replacing it with a higher nutrient alternative. Do some searching online to find replacements, many can be found with a simple internet search.
- Instead of making spaghetti, prepare spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash has a similar taste and consistency to spaghetti. Spaghetti squash is a vegetable and is packed with nutrients.
- If you crave ice cream, prepare "banana ice cream". Blend a frozen banana in a food processor or blender until creamy. You'll be surprised at how much frozen banana resembles ice cream!
Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.Sports drinks, sodas and fruit juices can have a high sugar content and are packed with calories. Water provides a healthy and cheap beverage to keep you hydrated throughout your day and while exercising.
Using Quick Fixes
Wear properly fitting clothes.Clothes that are too tight can draw attention to areas of your body that you may not want attention. When trying on clothes, make sure they fit well around the arms and armpit area. If you are particularly self-conscious about your underarm area, do not wear clothes with elastic or stretchy material near the underarm region.
- If you wear dresses, take care when buying dresses cut near or around the armpit. If it is too tight, it may pull skin around your armpits, making the skin bulge.
Choose properly fitting bras.An ill-fitting bra can cause bunching of skin near or around the armpit. A properly fitting bra means that you are providing adequate support and comfort for your body. The bra is a foundation of the wardrobe, and if it does not fit, it is unlikely that clothes placed on top of it will fit well.
- Go to a specialty bra store and request a bra fitting. Pay special attention to how the bra fits in the underarm region, and how the underarm appears when clothes are worn.
- Sizes may differ from store to store. Be sure to try on a bra before you buy it, as some stores may not allow returns.
Maintain good posture.Maintaining good posture not only makes you look taller and more slender, but also is good for your bones and muscles.Slouching or hunching over can affect how your body appears and can make skin bunch near the underarms. Keep your neck and shoulders upright, taking care not to hunch over when sitting, standing, or walking.
- It's easy to hunch your shoulders when working at a desk or on a computer. Do occasional body checks to maintain good posture when working.
QuestionHow can I be more healthy in general?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerThanks!
QuestionI am skinny but I have bad underarm fat. How can I get rid of it without too much hard work?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerArm fat is no different than fat on your thighs or buttocks when it comes to getting rid of it: you need to reduce calorie intake and burn more calories through exercise. There are no shortcuts, but the exercises suggested here could tone and improve the appearance of your arms. Try swimming, which provides cardio and lots of arm work.Thanks!
QuestionHow do you get armpit stains out of shirts?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerThere are many techniques, some of which include rubbing the stains with: fresh lemon juice, vinegar or ammonia.Thanks!
QuestionHow do you get rid of bat wings?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerIf your bat wings are fat, you will need to achieve a calorie deficit to lose the extra fat. If it is loose skin, try building arm muscle to improve the overall shape of your arms.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is armpit fat from?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerGenetics determine how our bodies store fat. If you have armpit fat, losing overall body fat will eventually reduce the amount of fat from everywhere, including the armpit.Thanks!
QuestionWhat exercise gets rid of arm flab?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerCardio will burn fat overall, and arm exercises will build muscle and tone which will improve the shape of your arms.Thanks!
How do I do side fierce yoga poses?
- There is no overnight results so consistency is the key.
- Take up a sport as a new hobby.
- Join a gym or a training group.
Sources and Citations
- Videos provided by
In other languages:
Español: , Português: , Italiano: , Deutsch: , Français: , Русский: , 中文: , Nederlands: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Čeština: , العربية:
Video: Exercises for a Stronger Body : Exercises for How to Lose Underarm Fat
Off-White launches a more affordable line
What Is Ascorbic Acid
2015 Jeep Renegade
What Are Shin Splints
Workouts for Cross Country Running Season
Added Sugar Can Sneak Into These 15 Surprising Foods
15 Succulent Sausage Dishes
Big Agnes Cross Mountain Sleeping Bag
How to Defend Your Choice to Be Childless
16Parenting Tips That Can Prepare Your Kid for the Real World
Great Big Canvas Lights Camera Action Graphic Art Print 10525651 Size: 48 H x 48 W x 1.5 D Format: Canvas
How to Transform Your Face With Just One Beauty Product
Lady Gaga Taken to the Hospital in SeverePain