How to Make an Efficient Cat Litter Box Setup
Cats need clean litter boxes, but humans want to spend as little time possible to clean them. This super efficient, simple, compact and cheap setup makes them both happy. It was designed for a small house. Copy it, or use it as inspiration to create your own set-up that is better suited to your household.
Get a table and attach a curtain to the side.
- This setup consists of several parts.
Get a big litter box - bigger is better, depending on how much space you have.Get one with a hood to prevent litter getting out and to guide the cat, but remove the door. Those doors trap bad smells inside and that is nice for insensitive humans, but it is hell for sensitive cat noses. If the box smells, it means it wasn't cleaned properly. So clean it. Don't fasten the hood with clamps, just let it stand free.
Get a special bin for cat litter.There are several brands that do the same thing. They work like those bins for diapers: they don't let any bad smells out. You can collect a week or more of dirty cat litter and dump it in the trash without any nasty smells or any hassle.
- Don't mess around with those flimsy sandwich bags. Make a little platform with wheels and put the bin on top. Why will become clear later.
Gather your remaining litter supplies.You'll need:
- Litter mat of one kind or another.
- Bag of cat litter
- Scoop hanging from a hook underneath the table
Lay out your setup so it "guides" your cat.All the items should be laid out in such a way that the cat can only get into the box via one route: the route that goes over the litter mat. If you are blessed with more space, you can actually add more litter catching devices to reduce litter tracking in your house to next to nothing.
- Make sure you can reach in there very easily to get to work; that's why a curtain is ideal. The genius idea behind this set-p is that it reduces any kind of obstacle to cleaning work to an absolute minimum.
Access what you need to at cleaning time.Roll the litter bin to one side, push the litter bag to the other side and pull the litter box to the front. Remove the hood and start scooping the messy bits into the bin (push one hand on the "foot pedal" to open it), using the scoop that hangs in a convenient spot. After you are done, put everything back and you're done.
- After you get the hang of it, it takes one minute - that's literally one minute. Use a dust buster or a dustpan to remove spillage if any. Scoop once a day.
- Use natural and non-toxic, non-scented cat litter and use lots of it. The idea is that the mess forms clumps while it descends to the bottom of the box. If the layer is nice and thick (about 5 cm or more), that clump will never reach the bottom and you can scoop it out when it's hardened. This improves hygiene. The smells will get trapped better in the litter as well. Use litter that is meant to do this obviously. If you scoop the box daily, take care of any accidents and refill as appropriate you only have to clean out the entire box once a month. That's also why you want a nice big box.
- Many cats are seen as problematic because they don't use the box, where the real problem is poor litter box maintenance by their owners. Many products are sold solely for the benefit of the human owner which discourage the cat from using the box, like small litter boxes with little doors and all kinds of tricks to mask smells. With the above setup there aren't any noteworthy smells, but if there are and you have to mask them for those rare occurrences (important visitors or whatever) just use some matches or some kind of non-toxic air freshening spray.
- Buy a cheap dusk mask in case your litter is a bit dusty and you don't like that. It's optional because you bought the non-toxic all-natural kind, right? If not, don't use any mask, get your nose really close to that litter and inhale as deep as you can for as long as you can.
Video: How to Keep the Litter Box Fresh & Clean! Easy Ideas for Cleaning Up After Your Cat (Clean My Space)
Bridesmaid Dresses for Every Wedding Venue
Sports Authoritys Going-Out-of-Business Sale Starts This Week
Bayer Back Body Reviews
How to Make Pumpkin Bars
Donald Glover Shows You The Secret To Making A Brown Suit Look Cool
Watch The Incredible Footage From GoPros Prototype Drone
Tag: Mohawk Hairstyles
Ciate Caviar Manicure
How to Improve Language Learning in Babies Using Music
How to Buy an Assembled PC