How to Treat a Penile Yeast Infection
While it is more common for women to get yeast infections, it is also possible for men to contract a genital yeast infection, usually after having unprotected sex with a partner who is already infected. The infection usually appears on the skin outside the penis. Penile yeast infections affect men who are uncircumcised more than those who are circumcised. This is because a circumcised penis exposes the glans to air, keeping it dry and cool, while yeast requires heat and moisture to grow and survive.
Treating the Infection
Take nizoral.This drug is an antifungal medication that can be used to fight yeast infections by killing the yeast cells in the urethra. The starting dose for this drug is one tablet (200 mg) daily.
- If this doesn't clear the infection, the dose can be increased to two tablets (400 mg) daily. This medication should not be used alongside drugs like dofetilide, eplerenone, midazol (midazolam), and triazolam.
- Side effects may include back, stomach, and leg pains, blurred vision, chest pains, chills, joint pains, fever, faster heart beat, dizziness, among others.
Apply clotrimazole cream.This is a topical antifungal cream used in treating fungal infections. It is used to treat skin infections such as yeast infections, jock itch, ringworm, and athlete's foot.
- A man with penile yeast infection whose skin has hardened can apply one applicator-full of 1% clotrimazole cream on the affected skin of the penis, preferably at bedtime. This should be done once daily for seven consecutive days.
- Side effects may include itching, general skin irritation, peeling, blistering, edema, and erythema.
Try using organic coconut oil.This is a medically proven antifungal that works on hardened skin by destroying both the nucleus and the plasma of the yeast cell, thereby killing it. You can apply the oil directly onto the affected area.
- It is also a great personal lubricant for sex, while helping to prevent yeast infections from being transferred from partner to partner.
- Additionally, the man with the penile yeast infection can consume a teaspoonful of the oil before every meal until the infection subsides.
Use organic Mediterranean oregano oil.This is an effective antifungal for penile yeast infection, especially when the skin has hardened. The oil is applied directly to the infected penile skin to penetrate the hardened skin and kill the yeast cells.
- Be aware that organic Mediterranean oregano oil should be diluted with either coconut or olive oil in a ratio of 2:1 to prevent it from burning the skin.
Make a paste of potassium sorbate.This is a substance used to stop yeast growth when making beer and can be applied when the skin has hardened due to yeast infection.
- In treating penile yeast infection, potassium sorbate is very helpful in stopping and preventing yeast from growing on the penis.
- Just use a little water to make a paste, then apply the paste directly onto the infected skin of the penis.
Mix a lemon juice treatment.Lemon juice is packed with vitamin C which helps to restore the skin's pH. This is key in the treatment of penile yeast infections because it creates an unfriendly environment for yeast cells to thrive.
- A man with penile yeast infection can make a treatment solution by mixing 2 tablespoonfuls of lemon juice with 1 quart of warm water. The affected area of the penis is then soaked in the solution.
- This should be done three times daily until the penis is healed.
Drink cranberry juice.Cranberry juice is a great penile yeast infection remedy when the skin has hardened because of the infection. It works by preventing the yeast infection from turning into a bladder infection. Additionally, it boosts the body's levels of good acidophilus bacteria.
- A man with a penile yeast infection should consume cranberry juice twice daily until the symptoms fade away.
Keep the skin dry.A moist environment encourages the growth of yeast, therefore, men should ensure that their genital area is kept as dry and cool as possible by wiping with clean, dry towel after taking a bath.
- It is also recommended that you remove excess hair because this dampens the genital area, creating a sweaty and humid condition perfect for a thriving yeast colony.
Understanding Penile Yeast Infections
Recognize the symptoms of a penile yeast infection.The major symptoms of a penile yeast infection are as follows:
- Soreness and irritation:A man with a penile yeast infection will experience a reddish-colored rash on the head of the penis. There may be an itching and burning sensation on the tip of the penis, which can be very irritating. When passing urine, the burning sensation may be more intense.
- Discharge:A man with a penile yeast infection may notice a white substance coming from the penis, similar to the discharge from a vaginal infection. The discharge may have an unpleasant odor.
- Discomfort during intercourse:A man with a penile yeast infection may experience discomfort during sexual intercourse, due to the soreness, irritation, and inflammation of the penis.
Understand the causes and risk factors.The most common causes and risk factors for penile yeast infection include:
- Sexual transmission:Just like sexually transmitted infections, a yeast infection can be transmitted through sexual contact. A man can contract penile yeast infection by having unprotected intercourse with a yeast-infected woman.
- Antibiotics:Although it is less common than sexual transmission, a man can get penile yeast infection through prolonged use of antibiotics.
- Diabetes:Yeast thrives well in glucose, therefore men with diabetes are more susceptible to yeast infections, due to their elevated blood sugars.
- Foods:A typical American diet increases the chances of a man developing penile yeast infection. Wheat, barley, oats, peanuts, red apples, and corn encourage yeast growth in the body because of their high glucose content, which is food for yeast.
- Nonoxynol-9:This is a sperm-killing drug contained in condom lubricants. This substance has been linked to causing yeast infections in men.
QuestionDoes the Clotrimazole go on the external skin or underneath the foreskin? Should I pull back the skin to apply it?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, make sure you keep it clean and dry then apply the cream 2-3 times per day, and make sure you allow no moisture as it will encourage it to grow even if you apply the cream. Pull back the skin to apply it.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get rid of a rash on my penis?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerHave you doctor examine the area to diagnose and treat the rash.Thanks!
QuestionDo I have a yeast infection if the skin below the head of my penis is swollen and red, almost a pouch that looks like it is filled with fluid?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThat's what mine looked like. The "pouch" is probably only on your inner mucosal skin and not the outer shaft skin. This area is more susceptible to infection. It will itch horribly and then begin to peel. Stick with the creams and keep applying.Thanks!
QuestionWhat should I consider if my girlfriend and I keep giving them to each other?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou both need to stop sexual contact until your infections are resolved. Go see a doctor, and avoid sugary food (including starches).Thanks!
QuestionHow much time does it take for a penile yeast infection to heal?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTreatment should be continued for at least one month for dermatophyte infections, and at least two weeks for candidal infections. The way of taking prompt reaction to instructions given or prescribed by the physician matters a lot.Thanks!
QuestionWhat kind of doctor should I see if I have a penile yeast infection?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerA urologist can treat your penile yeast infection best.Thanks!
QuestionCan a cut on the head of my penis cause a yeast infection?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo. Yeast infections are caused by candida, which is a type of bacteria.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if my penis is painful during urination and it has a yellowish discharge?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThat could be a yeast infection, and it could be a sexually transmitted infection. You need to see a doctor as soon as possible.Thanks!
QuestionDoes white patches around the penis head ring and under the foreskin count as yeast infection?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, that is a yeast infection.Thanks!
QuestionDo I put clotrimazole cream on my tip of my penis and underneath the foreskin?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, but do it with a small amount. Wash your penis with mild soap and warm water, first.Thanks!
What do I do if I'm not seeing improvement when treating a penile yeast infection and I'm treating it with medication?
How do I tell if I have a yeast infection?
Can yeast infections cause infertility?
I have severe redness on the gland of my penis under the foreskin and redness on the skin below the gland. I have no other symptoms, not itching, no burning, no discharge. Can this be thrush?
Can you show pictures of various symptoms of Thrush/yeast infection?
- Once the skin of the penis is infected by yeast it hardens, because the skin cells macrophage as a defense against the infection. This hardened skin may crack during an erection, which is extremely painful.
- If ignored, the yeast infection can extend to the urethra; at this point medical treatment should be sought as this can cause serious complications such as lower or upper tract obstruction.
Sources and Citations
- Sommers, M. A. (2008). Yeast infections, trichomoniasis, and toxic shock syndrome. New York: Rosen Central.
In other languages:
Italiano: , Português: , Español: , Français: , Tiếng Việt: , Bahasa Indonesia: , العربية: , Deutsch: , Русский: , Nederlands:
Video: Yeast Infection Symptoms in Men
13 Ways to Wear Bows As a Grown-AssWoman
What is Non Small Cell Lung Cancer
How to Make Long Term Friends
John Oliver blasts Trump, Fox News for defending Kavanaugh amid allegations
The Easy Breathing Technique That Can Lower Your Anxiety 44
Tumblr removed from Apples App Store because of child porn
Overcoming the Stigma of ADHD
DIY Do Rag Curl SetHairstyle
This One-Day Kitchen Makeover Will Help Your Family Eat Better
How to Compose Your Center of Interest
New love letters by a young Ernest Hemingway have been discovered after 99 years
The Rock Built Massive Back Muscles for Jumanji.’ Here’s How You Can, Too